Students will select two of the following projects (with instructor approval) to complete for up to 25 points each.
· Development of a Course Web Page – search for links with appropriate animations to enhance the understanding of concepts. This will be a class project.
· Adopt-a-scientist – The student will research the biography of a scientist whose discoveries are explained in the competencies for CHM 1045. An oral report will be presented to the class as well as a written report for the Course Web Page.
· Analysis of a movie – an appropriate movie will be selected by the student, approved by the instructor, rented out and viewed by the student, and a written analysis will be prepared by the student. This may be a group project. Analysis of a movie from the point of view of a scientist – identification of “good and bad science”. Write a three page, typewritten paper discussing the facts and errors that the group identified during viewing the movie.
· The Core
· 2001 Space Odyssey
· Analysis of a commercial – an appropriate commercial will be selected by the student, approved by the instructor, and a written analysis will be prepared by the student. This may be a group project.
· Consumer chemistry – An appropriate product will be selected by the student, approved by the instructor, an experiment developed and conducted, data collected and analyzed, and a written report will be submitted. This may be a group project.
· Games – Chemistry-related games will be developed and field-tested by the student and a description of the game will be placed on the Course Web Page. This may be a group project.