EVERGLADES NATIONAL PARK
1) To participate in this trip you must complete the hold harmless form.
2) How to get there, the easiest way is to get on the Turnpike. Drive South. A key reference point, is the intersection of US 1 and Palm Ave. or Road. Look for a Miami-Subs and a Shell gas station, then follow the signs to the Everglades National Park. Be at the Visitors Center by no later than 7:30 AM. We will be leaving at 8.00 AM sharp, be on time or you will not get credit.
To get your 20 points you must complete the trip. This means stay there until the fat man sing. He will opera of course!
Write a short essay 3 page paper to answer the following questions:
1) What is the Everglades?
2) Explain its ecological value, in particular why is it important to us?
3) Describe two of the places we visited like Anhinga Trail, Mahogany Hammock or Eco Pond etc.
4) Should we protect the Everglades?
5) Identify and describe at least two threats to the Everglades ecosystem.
This trip is a long drive, make sure your car gas tank is full. There is gas at Flamingo but is expensive. If you feel that your car is not in good shape, you will be better off car-pooling with another student. Remember one of the requirements to cash in the points you need to car-pool. Remember this is an environmental class.
What to bring; lunch, remember we are not going to a Disco, dress in light colors, jeans and T-shirts would O.K. Bring water sodas, binoculars and cameras. NO ALCOHOL OR WEAPONS. Avoid black colored apparel ÒMosquito MagnetsÓ!