In this lesson, you will learn the elements of a
sentence. There are 5 basic sentence patterns in
English. Before we start this lesson (or after class in the lab) go to these 5
websites. Click the buttons on the screen at each site to see
sentences with these patterns.
- The 5 Basic Patterns
- Subject + Verb
- I swim. Joe swims. They swam.
- Subject + Verb + Object
- I drive a car. Joe plays the guitar. They ate dinner.
- Subject + Verb + Complement
- I am busy. Joe became a doctor. They look sick.
+ Verb + Indirect Object + Direct Object
- I gave her a gift. She teaches us English.
The last pattern is for level 5 and grammar, and
you will not see it in your level 4 classes, but you can look at it now if you
- Subject + Verb + Object + Complement
- I left the door open. We elected him president. They named her Jane.