It is important for students to check the financial aid office for scholarship availability. But the search for scholarships doesn’t have to end here. Many organizations, associations, and foundations offer dental hygiene scholarships. With a little research and perseverance, students can find great supplements to their financial aid package.
examples of outside scholarships
specific to dental hygiene students:
The American Dental Hygienists’ Association (ADHA) Institute for Oral Health awards a number of scholarships for dental hygiene students. These award amounts all range between $1,000 and $2,000.
- ADHA Institute General Scholarship—this scholarship is awarded to qualifying dental hygiene students.
- Sigma Phi Alpha Undergraduate Scholarship—this scholarship is awarded to active student members only. Must demonstrate outstanding academic achievements to be considered.
- Colgate “Bright Smiles, Bright Futures” Minority Scholarship—funded by Colgate Palmolive Company, this scholarship is dedicated to minority groups under-represented in the field of dental hygiene. Minority groups include African Americans, Asian Americans, Hispanics, Native Americans, and male students.
- Crest Oral-B Dental Hygiene Scholarships—funded by Proctor & Gamble, this scholarship is awarded to dental hygiene students at the bachelor degree level who are interested in dental hygiene through private and public education. Applicants must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 of higher.
- Dr. Harold Hillenbrand Scholarship—awarded to a dental hygiene student demonstrating a high level of academic achievement and clinical performance. Applicants must be enrolled in a dental hygiene program with a minimum grade point average of 3.5.
The American Dental Association (ADA) Foundation offers a variety of scholarships to students studying in the dental field. Dental hygiene students can apply for the Dental Hygiene Scholarship. Award money is given to help pay for college costs, including tuition and fees, supplies, books, and living expenses. Award is disbursed in two increments directly to the recipient’s school financial aid office.